- Project Zulu brings South African Township children's choir to the West
The vibrant sounds of a primary school choir from Kwazulu-Natal will bring Bristol to life when it tours the West in May and June.
Project Zulu are an extraordinary ensemble of singing, drumming and dancing children from Sithobelumthetho Primary School in the Madadeni Township, KwaZulu-Natal.
- What do you mean? UWE conference asks how language reveals who we are
A major international conference at UWE Bristol is set to explore the relationship between language and identity.
Topics to be covered include the use of language in the current financial crisis and age-related language issues such as the way children construct an identity in early childhood and older workers' use of language. There will also be locality-based topics ranging from bilingualism in Wales and accent and identity in Stoke-on-Trent, to the colloquial use of the word 'like' by Poles in Ireland.
- City Strata App poster wins prize at international conference
The City Strata 'Cinemapping' app, a collaboration between UWE Bristol's Digital Cultures Research Centre, Bristol City Council and creative technology company Calvium has recently won a poster prize at the Media | Communications and Cultural Studies Annual Conference in Derry.
- UWE Bristol Graphic Design students enjoy award success
UWE Bristol's Sophie Balch, Fanny Wacklin-Nilsson and Kathryn Evans-Prosser are the latest Graphic Design students to have their work recognised by London's top industry professionals.
At the world famous St Bride Library, in London, it was Sophie and Fanny's design industry-themed zine, Fond that beat off stiff industry competition to receive the accolade of 'Best in Show'.
- Locative storytelling and interactive library projects win REACT funding
Two lecturers from UWE Bristol will each work with media industry partners on projects that will create exciting new ways of authoring and consuming literature through location based storytelling and transforming a library space into a beautiful interactive experience.
- Project Zulu take on charity swim to bring South African Choir to Bristol in 2013
Saturday 15 December, 09:00, Clevedon beach
Project Zulu, a group of 10 student teachers and two tutors from UWE Bristol will bravely take on the chilly waters of the Bristol Channel for a charity swim to raise funds to bring a South African primary school to Bristol next June.
- UWE launches Music Appeal with screen music spectacular
Date: 8 December 2012, 19:30 Venue: Colston Hall
Magnificent music that will be instantly recognisable from the screen will be performed by the UWE Orchestra and Singers at the Colston Hall in Bristol on Saturday.
- Do we really want a British FBI? UWE Bristol researcher thinks we need to learn from history
In an article posted on the History and Policy today website, Dr Michael Woodiwiss, a historian from the University of the West of England, argues that our government needs to observe lessons from history before pushing ahead with a British FBI.
- UWE helps save 'integral part of English ceramic history' by combining late 19th century and digital print techniques
UWE Bristol's Centre for Fine Print Research (CFPR) is helping retain traditional English pottery decorating skills by finding ways of combining them with digital print techniques.
Professor Steve Hoskins, director of the CFPR, and Mr Dave Huson are collaborating with Burleigh Pottery in Stoke-on-Trent, the last remaining company to produce ceramic tableware decorated using the traditional printed underglaze tissue method. The pottery was saved from the threat of closure by the Princes' Regeneration Trust in June 2011.
- UWE Bristol academic receives The Birgit Skiöld Trust Memorial Award
UWE Bristol academic Jonathan Ward has been awarded The Birgit Skiöld Trust Memorial Award for his collaborative artists' book 'Home', at this year's London Art Book Fair at the Whitechapel Gallery.
- UWE Bristol Graphic Design students succeed at top typographic awards
UWE Bristol Graphic Design students enjoyed unprecedented success at this year's awards from the prestigious International Society of Typographic Designers (ISTD).
- UWE Bristol Illustration students support Comic Creations at the Festival of Ideas
UWE Bristol Illustration students have been working in partnership with the Bristol Festival of Ideas and Jonathan Cape Publishing to design posters to promote the event 'Comic Creations' at the Arnolfini, Wednesday 14 November from 18:00.
- UWE Bristol graduate's thriller chosen for screening at short film festival
Talented UWE Bristol film graduate Matthew Nesbeth has had his film New With Tags selected for the Aesthetica Short Film Festival (ASFF 2012) being held in York from 8-11 November 2012.
- UWE Bristol strengthens industry partnership with Aardman
Pitch Fest and Talent Showcase brings students together with leading creatives
As part of the growing partnership with Aardman Animations, BA and MA Animation students at the Bristol School of Animation, University of the West of England (UWE Bristol) are invited for the first time to take part in Aardman's annual Pitch Fest for Broadcast and Digital.
- Surfing the Avon to bring South African Choir to Bristol in 2013
An Education lecturer from UWE Bristol will paddle a surf board from Bradford on Avon 26 miles to the Arnolfini in Bristol in one day to raise funds for Project Zulu on Saturday 27 October.