- Power of 10: Creative Industry students dominate RTS West of England Student Award nominations - 29/01/2016
UWE Bristol Animation students have made a clean sweep of nominations in the Animation category of the RTS West of England Student Awards 2015, replicating the success of the previous two years.
- UWE Bristol Linguist analyses the linguistic connotations of 'a bunch of' - 28/01/2016
Dr James Murphy, Senior Lecturer in English Language and Linguistics at the University of the West of England (UWE Bristol) is available for commentary on:
· the linguistics of David Cameron's use of a bunch of migrants at yesterday's Prime Minister's Questions James has written a linguistic analysis below of the term 'a bunch of'
- Routine or extreme? UWE professor urges public to take survey seeking views on cosmetic procedures - 28/01/2016
A leading academic in appearance research is encouraging people to take part in an online survey on the ethical and social questions raised by the growing use of cosmetic procedures.
- 'Immigration sanctions do not work' – new research - 27/01/2016
Tough sanctions against companies who take on undocumented migrants do not stop the exploitation of foreign workers, according to new research.
Professor Sonia McKay, from the University of West of England (UWE Bristol), and Professor Alice Bloch, a sociologist at The University of Manchester, say that the government fails to recognise that for most migrants there is 'no going back' – and that penalties are not enough to stop them seeking and taking on low paid or exploitative work.
- New discovery strengthens how bones bond to titanium orthopaedic implants - 27/01/2016
Scientists at the University of the West of England (UWE Bristol) have discovered a new way of making titanium implants bond better with bones. Successful implant surgery is dependent on this bonding process working so that the implant integrates into the patient's skeleton.
- Student nurse star receives standing ovation at Hippodrome for saving life - 25/01/2016
An adult nursing student from the University of the West of England (UWE Bristol) received a standing ovation at the Bristol Hippodrome following his successful resuscitation of a woman in the audience who went into cardiac arrest.
- Bristol Business School graduate organises UWE Bristol's first TEDx talk - 22/01/2016
The University of the West of England's (UWE Bristol) Student Union is preparing to host the University's first TEDx talk, which will take place on Saturday 23rd January 2016, 11:00 – 16:00.
- Illustration students shine in Colston Hall's Lantern project - 21/01/2016
Third year students on UWE Bristol's Illustration programme have taken part in a project, run by Bristol's | Colston Hall, to produce a bespoke illustration to be utilised in marketing their 350 capacity venue The Lantern.
- How do firms build a climate of creativity? Lord Bichard KCB Lecture to explain - 21/01/2016
Register for this event
Lord Bichard KCB, Non-Executive Chairman of the National Audit Office, will talk about creative leadership at UWE Bristol's Exhibition and Conference Centre, on Wednesday 27 January 2016. He will address the business community at The Bristol Distinguished Address Series to explain how both large and small organisations can foster a culture of creativity within their teams.
- UWE Bristol student joint third in international Bloomberg Aptitude Test - 18/01/2016
UWE Bristol MSc Finance student Thomas Cottrell has come joint third in the prestigious Bloomberg Aptitude Test (BAT) for Europe, Middle East and Africa for November. His result placed him at the 99th percentile of all students taking the test worldwide.
- UWE Bristol gets UK Quality Mark and recognition for good practice - 15/01/2016
The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) has confirmed the quality and standards of provision at UWE Bristol following its review in October 2015.
- Reimagining reading; Ambient Literature project to investigate how we read - 14/01/2016
What happens when the place where you're reading becomes the stage for the story? How can your location shape and alter the story you are hearing? How might writing, reading and the idea of the book itself change when we use technology to design stories, rather than just present them?
- Why do we British find the EU so hard to swallow and why does it matter to business? - 13/01/2016
Britain, Business and Europe 2016 Series
Sir Stephen Wall, the former foreign policy advisor to John Major and Tony Blair, sets out his thoughts on Britain's often difficult relationship with Europe and why it matters to British business and the UK economy at UWE Bristol's Exhibition and Conference Centre, on Wednesday 20 January 2016.
- UWE nursing and midwifery expert receives Florence Nightingale leadership award - 11/01/2016
Sarah Green, Head of Nursing and Midwifery at the University of the West of England (UWE Bristol), has been awarded a Florence Nightingale Foundation/Council of Deans of Health Leadership Scholarship for Aspiring Deans.
- London Fashion Week:Fashion Student shortlisted for 2016 FAD Finals - 08/01/2016
Eleana Burrows, a year two Fashion student from UWE Bristol, will showcase her work at a catwalk final at London Fashion Week (19-23 Feb). She's one of 17 finalists from 16 universities across the UK, competing in a competition organised by the fashion charity, Fashion Awareness Direct (FAD).
- Helping airlines clean up their act: Dirt detector could slash emissions - 07/01/2016
Airlines could significantly reduce their fuel bills and carbon footprint thanks to a new device being developed with the University of the West of England (UWE Bristol).
- UWE Bristol says, 'EA is recruiting more sponsored flood risk engineers' - 04/01/2016
Recent flooding across the UK is proving that we still need to train more engineers with specialist expertise in flood risk management.
- Claire Doherty awarded MBE in the New Year honours list - 04/01/2016
Claire Doherty, founder Director of Situations, and research fellow at UWE Bristol, has been awarded an MBE for services to the arts.
- UWE Professor Ron Ritchie awarded OBE for services to education in Bristol - 04/01/2016
Professor Ron Ritchie has been awarded an OBE in the New Year's honours for his services to education in various roles including chairman of the Cabot Learning Federation academies trust and lately Pro Vice-Chancellor of the University of the West of England (UWE Bristol).
- OBE for UWE Bristol appearance research expert - 04/01/2016
Professor Nichola Rumsey, Co-Director of the Centre for Appearance Research at the University of the West of England, has been awarded an OBE for her services to people affected by an altered appearance.