- UWE RESEARCH TEAM ADVISE ROYAL SOCIETY ON SCI COMMUNICATION - 22/12/2000
The Graphic Science team in the Faculty of Applied Sciences at the University of the West of England has won a prestigious £10,000 contract from the Royal Society of London. The Society has just received a large donation from the Kohn Foundation that will enable it to run an enhanced Science and Society programme. The aim of the programme is to re-build bridges between science and the public that have been badly damaged during the recent storms over BSE and Genetically Modified Foods.
- PLANNING FOR ACTION ON AIR QUALITY - 07/12/2000
Improvements to the quality of the air that we breathe are being implemented more effectively than ever before thanks to expertise in the West of England.
- THE HONORARY GRADUAND: MR DOUGLAS CLAISSE - 06/12/2000
Douglas Claisse is to be awarded the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Business Administration in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the promotion of Bristol's commercial interests and of his charitable activities in the city and its region.
- HONORARY GRADUAND: PROFESSOR PAMELA ENDERBY MBE - 06/12/2000
Pamela Enderby is to be awarded the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Science in recognition of her outstanding contribution to speech and language therapy and to rehabilitation research.
- HONORARY GRADUAND: MR ROGER DAWE CB OBE - 06/12/2000
Roger Dawe is to be awarded the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Education, in recognition of his outstanding contribution to education and training.
- STORM WATER SCHEME SHOULD BE A ROARING SUCCESS - 06/12/2000
With floodwater still covering large stretches of countryside from the Severn in Gloucestershire to the Ouse in Yorkshire, news that the most up-to-date storm water control systems are being developed will be a ray of light on the horizon.
- YOUNG ENGINEER AIMS TO CUT AEROSPACE COSTS - 06/12/2000
The historic Houses of Parliament are to be the setting for a display of cutting-edge research by young engineers.
- PETER STARK AWARDED HONORARY DEGREE BY UWE - 16/11/2000
Peter Stark is to be awarded the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Music in recognition of his outstanding contribution to music and in particular to school and youth orchestras in Bristol and the West Country.
- HONORARY GRADUAND: PROFESSOR LES SPARKS OBE - 15/11/2000
Professor Les Sparks is to be awarded the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Design in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the development of urban architecture and design, and the better understanding of related sustainability and regeneration issues.
- HONORARY GRADUAND: SIR PETER HALL - 15/11/2000
Sir Peter Hall is to be awarded the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Science in recognition of his outstanding contribution to urban geography and city planning.
- HONORARY GRADUAND: SIR DONALD MAITLAND GCMG OBE - 14/11/2000
Sir Donald Maitland is to be awarded the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Letters in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the understanding of European international affairs.
- UWE AWARD HONORARY DEGREE TO DR CHARLES PENNOCK - 14/11/2000
Dr Charles Pennock is to be awarded the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Science in recognition of his outstanding contribution to clinical biochemistry, his work at the Bristol Children's Hospital and Southmead Hospital, and his support for the Faculty of Applied Sciences at the University of the West of England.
- THE HONORARY GRADUAND: JONATHON PORRITT CBE - 14/11/2000
Jonathon Porritt is to be awarded the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Science in recognition of his outstanding contribution to environmental science and to the public understanding of related issues.
- NEW LEARNING & RESOURCES BUILDING AT UWE ON SCHEDULE - 08/11/2000
The first phase of the Learning and Resources building at the University of the West of England in Frenchay has been completed.
- ONE PLUS ONE MENTORING SCHEME - 02/11/2000
The University of the West of England and the University of Bristol in partnership with their Students' Unions, have been successful in securing funding from HEFCE to run a pilot mentoring scheme in four local secondary schools - Broadoak Community School, Fairfield High School, St George Community School, Whitefield Fishponds Community School.
- UWE AWARDS HONORARY DEGREE TO SIR STEPHEN BROWN - 26/10/2000
The Rt. Hon. Sir Stephen Brown is to be awarded the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the development of the Family Division of the High Court.
- How IT can help the voluntary sector - 26/10/2000
The effects of information technology (IT) on the community, now and in the future, is the subject of a conference to be held in Bristol on Monday 30 October.
- UWE HOLDS ONLINE ART EXHIBITION - 25/10/2000
A virtual art exhibition is being held as part of a two-day University of the West of England, Bristol (UWE) conference into the future of research in art, media and design.
- IT’S A FAMILY AFFAIR … AT UWE - 23/10/2000
Brother and sister, Simon and Jessica Gwyn graduate on the 26 October 2000 from the University of the West of England with honours degrees from the Faculty of Economics and Social Science.
- UWE RESEARCHER HELPS SOLVE BRISTOL'S TRANSPORT PROBLEMS - 13/10/2000
High density development zones in designated areas of the city could be the answer to some of Bristol’s traffic problems, according to planners at the University of the West of England.
- UWE ARTISTS CREATE BEAUTIFUL TILES FOR CHILDRENS HOSPITAL - 13/10/2000
Artists and students from the University of the West of England have spent summer months busily working on a commission for the new Bristol Royal Hospital for Children to produce a collection of vitreous enamel tiles
The tiles will form a series of panels, which acknowledge ‘significant donors’ for the new hospital.
- AHRB SUCCESS FOR UWE - 04/10/2000
The University of the West of England, Bristol (UWE) leads the field in arts and humanities research among the new universities according to data published this week.
- NATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MORAL DEVELOPMENT - 22/09/2000
A national one day conference is being set up by academics at the University of the West of England in response to the new National Curriculum 2000 which introduces Citizenship Education and a new framework for Personal Social and Health Education (PSHE).
- UWE ARTISTS MOVE MOUNTAIN - 22/09/2000
An installation which incorporates a ‘mountain’ moving on a motorised track and a ‘gallery’ on a trailer are some of the features of an exhibition entitled Souvenir to be held at the English Heritage, Tithe Barn on the Kennet and Avon Canal in Bradford on Avon.
- UWE INSTALLS 'HYPERION' SYSTEM TO SUPPORT VIRTUAL LEARNING - 22/09/2000
The University of the West of England is to install Hyperion, the latest Digital Media Archive (DMA) sub system to add to its Unicorn Collection Management System. The Hyperion DMA will support the development of desktop access for students to an increasing range of learning materials.
- 25 UWE COMPUTING STUDENTS TO BENEFIT FROM HP BURSARY - 19/09/2000
The University of the West of England and Hewlett Packard have joined forces with the introduction of a new scholarship scheme for up to 25 students studying Computing for Real-Time Systems. The Hewlett Packard scholarship scheme will be launched on 22 September at the Filton headquarters of Hewlett Packard and the Frenchay Campus of UWE.
- PETER AND THE FLU - 19/09/2000
Frank Burnet (Applied Sciences) took part in the very first performance of Peter and the Flu in July.
- ‘SLUGGISH' ART - 19/09/2000
The work of Illustration graduate Diana McCormack is to appear on TV in a new drama starring Nicholas Lyndhurst.
- THE VOYEURNAUTS' VIEW - 19/09/2000
A unique travelling camera obscura is bringing an entirely new perspective to people living in the Bristol region.
- WINNING STUDENT OPTS FOR ENGINEERING - 13/09/2000
A University of the West of England student designate who won a prestigious Patent Office Bursary to help fund her Foundation Year Engineering Course at Bridgwater College starts her Engineering degree at UWE in September.
- HAVE-A-GO HERO - 11/09/2000
A new play by Tim Massey, who works in the library at UWE, has brought rave reviews in Bristol and at the Edinburgh Festival.